Wednesday, October 28, 2015

How Did Trick or Treating Begin?

Fun tradition...




About now, many tykes are counting down to Friday when they will blossom forth as ballerinas, fairies, pirates or space cadets for an evening of trick or treating.

Remember those evenings when you set out to collect your bag of Halloween swag?

One night, when I was a third or fourth grader, it was so hot and humid that my mask kept slipping down so I couldn't see.

The late October morning I landed in Germany to start my tour of duty in Europe, we taxied by the elementary school at Rhine Main Air Base.  On the windows of one of the classrooms the kids had put up a black and orange Trick or Treat sign surrounded by happy Jack O'Lanterns.

Many years later we had so many kids at our doorstep we had to rush out for a quick resupply of candy.

And, one of my favorites, the evening a group of well behaved teenagers called on us and then drove off to the next house in their dad's golf cart.

We've all enjoyed this fun tradition, but why do we observe it and how did it begin?


Gif: tumbr

No comments:

Post a Comment