Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Five Rules for Writers

Omit needless words...

Elmore Leonard, a grand master of writing.

As a professional writer, I’m always trying to improve, John Miller reports on nationalreview.com.

I’ve studied the work of the top writers. I’ve debated great opening sentences with colleagues. I’ve thought long and hard about things like serial commas, concluding that they are good and necessary (don’t @ me), Miller wrote.

He reviews rules from some great writers, including Elmore Leonard, George Orwell and Ernest Hemingway.  Of course, he recommends Strunk and White's classic, The Elements of Style.

Then he offers five rules of his own from his new book: Reading Around: Journalism on Authors, Artists and Ideas: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455406/writing-rules-john-j-miller

A little book with a big following over almost six decades.


Photos: Pinterest.
Next time on The Allen Report:
The Dumbest Passwords People Still Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment